I would be turning 18 in July and wish to travel to the UK in June. I hold an Indian passport. I would be travelling alone. I have had 2 previous UK visas (both now expired) which said I cannot travel without my parents.

Would I be able to travel alone? What would be the required documents to travel alone?

  • Will you be staying with someone, such as a relative, who will take care of you? See "Travelling alone" at (gov.uk/standard-visitor-visa/if-youre-under-18) Feb 14, 2020 at 1:11
  • I would be visiting my sister who goes to university there and lives at a student only accommodation
    – ExemptFan
    Feb 14, 2020 at 2:06
  • 1
    Please add that information to the question. Feb 14, 2020 at 2:08
  • @ExemptFan If your sister lives in student accomodation on campus, you might want to get confirmation that the university will allow you to stay with her.
    – Traveller
    Feb 14, 2020 at 13:47

1 Answer 1


There are two versions of visas for under-18 visitors to the UK. The one you have used before is intended for travel with an adult, typically a parent.

There is another form for unaccompanied minors, intended for an under-18 traveling, for example, to visit a relative. You will need to prove you have somewhere suitable to stay, provide specific information about your sister, and have written consent from your parents. See Travelling alone. With your parents' consent your sister will be, in effect, a temporary guardian while you are in the UK.

As was the case for the accompanied visa, you will need to show you can support yourself during your time in the UK and return home without working or public funds.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .