I have a long-term German National D Visa for research.

I have an upcoming short trip outside Germany to the Schengen Zone but I don't have a residence permit yet. I've been informed that I should get the residence permit before travelling abroad but that is contrary to what I've been reading online i.e. the D visa can be used for short-term stays in European countries outside Germany. https://visaguide.world/europe/germany-visa/long-stay/

Does anyone have experience regarding this issue or can tell if I am allowed to travel outside Germany?


1 Answer 1


Type D: National visa or visa for research purposes.

You are required to stay in Germany for longer than three months within the six-month period after your first entry. Any person in possession of a National visa and valid travel documents are permitted to move freely in the Schengen area for up to three months in any six-month period.

NOTE: A Type D National visa can be converted into a residence permit after entry into Germany. However, you must still actively apply for your residence permit after entering the country.You will need to convert your visa into a residence permit within three months of arriving in Germany.

It shouldn't be a problem for you to travel inside Schengen countries as I rarely see visa check-in airport if you are travelling inside the EU from any Schengen country. Your plane ticket is enough if you are flying else you can simply use a train or other means for travel where they don't go through visa unless you don't commit any illegal activities.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.