For questions about entering a country, people are usually referred to the embassy of said country. Unfortunately, except regarding visa issuance, these often prove rather uninformative.

So how would one contact the actual border authorities of the various EU/Schengen states, for assistance not related to visa issuance, but e.g. visa usage, other document requirements, border control procedures and other practical/operational matters?

  • 1
    Kindly define samples of what type of 'assistance not related to visa requirements' that you would want to ask. Commented Feb 8, 2020 at 17:26
  • 2
    @MarkJohnson assistance related to entry requirements. Border officials are frequently if not usually part of a different division of the government (ministry of the interior or similar, though sometimes the defense ministry) from visa officials (who are usually with the foreign ministry). Unfortunately, this means that visa officers sometimes give incorrect advice about entry requirements, or about the likelihood that some fact will be of concern to a border officer.
    – phoog
    Commented Feb 8, 2020 at 20:03
  • 2
    @phoog I am aware of that, but border officials are mostly required to enforce (and not interpret) policy. Thus the question to the OP about what they want to ask them. Commented Feb 8, 2020 at 20:08
  • 5
    @MarkJohnson but they are indeed required to make judgments, and they will be more familiar with the practical application of policies guiding those judgments to actual cases than will be the workers in an embassy or consulate.
    – phoog
    Commented Feb 8, 2020 at 20:13
  • 5
    @MarkJohnson my claim is that on entry, the border officer must judge whether the traveler meets the conditions of entry. If the border officer isn't doing that, who is?
    – phoog
    Commented Feb 9, 2020 at 1:52

2 Answers 2


The competent bodies in each EU/Schengen state can be reached at the following e-mail addresses (mostly belonging to national departments, i.e. not a specific airport/crossing):

  • These email- addresses list the organizations that enforce the Schengen Border Code (such has: 3rd county citizens that require a visa: do they have one yes/no?). Questions under which conditions a Visa will be issued made to these organizations, which a Consulate issues, will most probably be referred by them to the responsible consulate. Commented Feb 8, 2020 at 17:24
  • @MarkJohnson They would never refer you to an embassy (except regarding visa issuance), but the Ministry of Foreign Affairs
    – Crazydre
    Commented Feb 8, 2020 at 17:38
  • @Crazydre an embassy (or a consulate) is usually an office of the ministry of foreign affairs, isn't it?
    – phoog
    Commented Feb 8, 2020 at 20:05
  • 6
    @MarkJohnson this question is explicitly not about "under which conditions a visa will be issued."
    – phoog
    Commented Feb 8, 2020 at 20:07
  • @Crazydre could you add the name of the office or other body belonging to each e-mail address? For example, mup.hr is Ministarstvo unutarnjih poslova, meaning "Ministry of the Interior," but what is uzg? Similarly, even though the meaning of interieur.gouv.fr is probably intuitive for almost every English speaker, dcpaf-em-cnic is far from obvious, and one might wonder why one should "CC: dcpaf-em-chefs-cnic" or how critical it is to do so. Also, it would help to link to the source page or add a note disclosing the source if there's no page, e.g. "called phone number at [URL]" or so.
    – phoog
    Commented Jul 1, 2020 at 14:09

I am writing my experience with this question which may help few travelers. I have personally contacted at least 3 different border control authorities over email (in Europe) for questions regarding immigration.

In all cases, I contacted the Airport Helpdesk and asked them to redirect question to proper authorities. In all the time I got response from the border control authorities and I received the correct information.

So I would suggest, in case you could not find email/contact of appropriate authorities, just email to Airport helpdesk (where you are interested in contacting border control).

  • At worst they'll email you back with the correct email address, rather than forwarding the email on your behalf
    – CSM
    Commented Sep 2, 2020 at 17:03
  • 1
    @CSM Not true; often they'll be of zero help at all. Varies a lot
    – Crazydre
    Commented Sep 2, 2020 at 19:45

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .