I have dual citizenship - let us say passport P1 and passport P2. I am living in country C1 on passport P1, but my tourist visa for P1 is about to run out. My plan is to travel to neighboring country C2 for a few days, and then return to C1 to stay on passport P2. In order to accomplish this, I need to do one of the following :


On the day I leave C1 :

  • Exit C1 on passport P1
  • Enter C2 on passport P2

On the day I re-enter C1 :

  • Exit C2 on passport P2
  • Enter C1 on passport P2


On the day I leave C1 :

  • Exit C1 on passport P1
  • Enter C2 on passport P1

On the day I re-enter C1 :

  • Exit C2 on passport P1
  • Enter C1 on passport P2


Either way, on one of the days I have to exit one country on a different passport than I use to enter the other country. I figure that this is in principle possible, but what I am worried about is this - I have heard that at the border of the two countries, the passport-officials for each country both sit at the same desk together. Does this mean that they may insist that I enter one country on the same passport that I use to exit the other? Does anyone have experience with this exact situation? Should I avoid this situation by travelling by plane to a country which does not share a physical border with the one I am in?

I figure that perhaps Option-1 is slightly better, because in that case, the day of the passport-switch does not involve me entering a country for which one of my visas is already used-up.

Thank you for your help!

I am curious about this question in general, but if it is a case-by-case sort of thing, these are the actual details in terms of the passports/countries :

  • C1: Argentina

  • C2: Uruguay

  • P1: US Passport

  • P2: Italian Passport

  • 4
    You realize that being allowed in a country is for a person, not for a passport? It is likely that country C1 does not want you back in for a second spell, (but not all countries see this in the same way.) – Willeke Feb 2 '20 at 9:11
  • 3
    Sounds to me that this question is about how to evade laws on overstaying, which means it should be closed. Unless there is an example of a country which is happy to let people have as many consecutive maximum stays as they have passports? – MJeffryes Feb 2 '20 at 11:59
  • 1
    @MJeffryes Yes...but every question about the use of multiple citizenships to ease international travel seeks to avoid some aspect of some country's immigration law. Those questions are common here. – DavidSupportsMonica Feb 2 '20 at 15:42
  • Are there really border posts where the two actually sit side-by-side? They can be close (see French and UK controls are Gare du Nord for Eurostar departures for instance), but countries have a tendency to have their own turf and really separate both. – jcaron Feb 2 '20 at 17:14
  • 1
    These countries are separated by a river. Where do you think that the border officers might sit side by side at the same desk? – Michael Hampton Feb 2 '20 at 18:12

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.