I'm a UK citizen traveling to the Schengen area on February 1st. It is, literally, the day after Brexit. What changes? Should I worry about documentation?

1 Answer 1


The UK Government is maintaining a web page with detailed information on what you need to do after Brexit to travel to Europe.

Nothing will change immediately, but after 1 January 2021, the following changes are expected:

  • Your passport may need at least 6 months validity remaining
  • You may need travel insurance as your EHIC card might not be valid
  • If driving, you may need an IDP, green card and GB oval sticker
  • You'll be able to stay 90 days out of every 180 days in Schengen
  • You cannot use your EU pet passport for pet travel
  • You can no longer use EU/EEA/Switzerland lanes at the border

The UK maintain a Prepare for Brexit web site with further information including permanent links to the above travel information. If there are changes in the meantime, they will be reflected at those links.

  • 1
    Visit Europe from 1 January 2021, so that shouldn't make any difference ATM, then?
    – Mou某
    Jan 29, 2020 at 5:34
  • The 1 January 2021 page links to The UK leaves the EU on 31 January 2020, which says "After 31 January 2020 there will be a transition period until the end of 2020, while the UK and EU negotiate additional arrangements." Jan 29, 2020 at 5:56
  • Damn, I've had such a long day I don't even know what year it is anymore. Jan 29, 2020 at 5:58
  • @MichaelHampton I have that problem every January. Jan 29, 2020 at 15:54
  • Also I saw on ITV This Morning that apparently the UK has until 1 July 2020 to ask for yet another extension so if they do that then these changes could be deferred again. Jan 29, 2020 at 21:12

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .