I'm a UK citizen traveling to the Schengen area on February 1st. It is, literally, the day after Brexit. What changes? Should I worry about documentation?
The UK Government is maintaining a web page with detailed information on what you need to do after Brexit to travel to Europe.
Nothing will change immediately, but after 1 January 2021, the following changes are expected:
- Your passport may need at least 6 months validity remaining
- You may need travel insurance as your EHIC card might not be valid
- If driving, you may need an IDP, green card and GB oval sticker
- You'll be able to stay 90 days out of every 180 days in Schengen
- You cannot use your EU pet passport for pet travel
- You can no longer use EU/EEA/Switzerland lanes at the border
The UK maintain a Prepare for Brexit web site with further information including permanent links to the above travel information. If there are changes in the meantime, they will be reflected at those links.