I'm wondering how far in advance I can come to Canada from America on a student visa before my school starts.

1 Answer 1


You can travel to Canada as soon as you receive your letter of introduction and your passport is returned to you from the consulate. It will already contain a valid visa if your nationality requires a visa to travel to Canada; otherwise Canada will automatically have given you an eTA if your nationality requires one. You need to bring the letter of introduction, your passport and possibly other documents with you when you travel to Canada; your actual study permit will be issued to you at the border when you present your documents to the CBSA border officer.

The letter of introduction will specify the latest date which you can enter Canada; if you do not enter on or before that date, you will not be able to obtain your study permit or study in Canada.

  • Thank you so much! So to be clear, I wouldn't need a visitor visa to enter Canada early if I have a student visa? Commented Jan 20, 2020 at 21:40
  • @DanielleZak No, you don't need a separate visa. Commented Jan 20, 2020 at 21:54
  • In this subsequent question travel.stackexchange.com/questions/152529/… the OP says she's Canadian...in which case she wouldn't need a visa at all. Commented Jan 20, 2020 at 21:56
  • Thanks everyone! Yes sorry I was asking this question on my boyfriends behalf. Im Canadian, and he's american! He wants to study in Canada. Commented Jan 20, 2020 at 21:58
  • 1
    It's a good idea to get a preapproved study permit especially in an unclear sponsor situation like OP's. Usually US citizens and PRs can also just apply for a study permit at a port of entry without preapproval (PRs still need to apply for eTA if they are flying).
    – xngtng
    Commented Jan 21, 2020 at 13:10

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .