I am Irish currently on a holiday visa in Mexico looking to go to the United States for a few days. Two questions for you guys:

  1. Do I need an ESTA if I cross by land and if not what is the process?

  2. I know that if I travel by plane into the US, I have 90 days. I know that my ESTA doesn't reset if I travel to Canada or Mexico, but my question is if i fly into the US and leave by land back to Mexico and I want to come back to the US in 6 months, will it be seen as if I overstayed my first 90 days as my time is counted in Mexico? I know its a complicated question and I hope I phrased it correctly.

  • An ESTA is NOT a visa. In fact, it is what is required to enter the US without a visa using the VWP, or visa waiver program.
    – CGCampbell
    Jan 10, 2020 at 19:36

1 Answer 1

  1. Do i need an Esta if i cross by land and if not what is the process?

You don't need ESTA. I don't know the process, I'm afraid, but I do think that having ESTA might allow you to remain in your car. Someone else here will surely answer on that point.

I think that another way to be able to stay in your car is to apply beforehand for an I-94 form, which costs $6 instead of $14 (and you'll have to pay $6 at the border anyway if you haven't gotten one or the other ahead of time). I believe there are plans to begin requiring ESTA for land crossings at some as-yet-undetermined point in the future, so anyone reading this much after today (January 2020) should double check.

  1. ... if i fly into the US and leave by land back to Mexico, and i want to come back to the states in say 6 months, will it be seen as i overstayed my first 90days on my Esta as my time is counted in Mexico?

You won't have overstayed, but your exit will probably not have been recorded. There is a process for correcting that, which you can read about at How can I ensure my exit from the US by land is recorded? on this site.

  • This is correct. I would add, though, that while you don't need ESTA, don't be surprised if the CBP officer at the border isn't aware of that fact - they don't always know all the rules. It can help to come prepared with a printout from the CBP website that says it's not required.
    – Midavalo
    Jan 12, 2020 at 17:45
  • 1
    @Midavalo I just edited the answer. Can you confirm that the additional material is also correct? Thanks.
    – phoog
    Jan 12, 2020 at 17:51
  • 1
    while you can apply online for I-94, you still need to leave your car on first entry to get it stamped and they do fingerprints and photos. I'm guessing that's for any land port of entry , but certainly at the two in Tijuana/San Diego.
    – Midavalo
    Jan 12, 2020 at 17:57
  • 1
    applying online (which I always do) means you can skip the wait at the cashier, which can be VERY long
    – Midavalo
    Jan 12, 2020 at 17:58

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.