I am from outside the EU and I am currently in the Netherlands with a temporary Dutch residence permit. I wanna go home to visit my family and I was wondering if I am allowed to use my Dutch residence permit to travel back to Europe from my country to France and then go back to the Netherlands?

PS: I am from Tunisia so usually I need a visa for France

Thank you

  • Thanks but I know I can travel within the Schengen area. I was wondering once I leave Europe and want to go back if I can go to France first when I have a Dutch residence permit.
    – h_h10a
    Jan 1 '20 at 21:23
  • 1
    That’s pretty much what the answer to the duplicate question says :-)
    – Traveller
    Jan 1 '20 at 22:51

A residence permit or card issued in uniform format (list) from a Schengen state exempts you from any visa requirement for stays of no more than 90 days in any 180-day period. Usually, recently issued residence permit should be in a credit-card format with EU bull symbol on it.

For intended stays on the territory of the Member States of a duration of no more than 90 days in any 180-day period, which entails considering the 180-day period preceding each day of stay, the entry conditions for third-country nationals shall be the following: ... (b) they are in possession of a valid visa, if required pursuant to Council Regulation (EC) No 539/2001 (25), except where they hold a valid residence permit or a valid long-stay visa; ...

Art. 6, Schengen Borders Code

However, a temporary permit issued pending examination of an application for a residence permit or an application for asylum does not qualify as a residence permit.

  • Actually, any residence permit has this effect, uniform format or otherwise.
    – phoog
    Jan 2 '20 at 0:32

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.