Will I be allowed to board the plane with just my state ID?

  • 2
    Do you have a residence permit or visa for Mexico? If not, do you have a Forma Migratoria Múltiple (FMM)? You need to have one of those to leave the border area, and you need to show your US passport to get the FMM. I don't know whether an airline would enforce that, but if you don't have an FMM, a visa, or a residence permit then you shouldn't fly to Mexico City, and if you don't have a US passport, you cannot get an FMM.
    – phoog
    Dec 16, 2019 at 17:30
  • I went earlier this year in May with a passport, but did not get a FMM. They never asked for one. I know my passport number but don’t have my passport because I sent it to the passport agency 4 weeks ago to renew it & somehow they still don’t receive my documents. That is why I’m going to attempt to use my state ID.
    – Mary
    Dec 16, 2019 at 17:59
  • Yes, US Passport required to Travel Mexico City.
    – Paul Belly
    Dec 17, 2019 at 14:56

1 Answer 1


As per Mexico City's airport website, foreigners are required to present their passports when traveling on domestic flights, so the answer is no - you will not be allowed to board with just your driving license.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.