Can a kid enter with a different passport with which normal citizens would need a visa for the parents' country if the kid travels with their parents and they have the related passport but the kid hasn't for not being registered?

To make this easier to understand, I'll give an example:

A kid born in the US from Pakistani parents and the kid has never been registered in a Pakistani consulate nor do they have a Pakistani passport. The kid has only a US passport. Generally US citizens need a visa for Pakistan. In this case, if the kid has only the US passport but they travel with their Pakistani parents, can the kid enter hassle-free without a visa??

  • 7
    I don't think there's a general rule that applies to all countries, so the first part of this question is too broad to be answered here. If you're specifically interested in Pakistan, I would recommend editing your question to remove the first paragraph. If you're specifically interested in another country, then edit your question to include that information instead. – Michael Seifert Dec 14 '19 at 13:58
  • 3
    Usually there are some formalities for a child born outside a country to claim citizenship from a parent, requiring review of evidence of the relationship. What those formalities are depends on the country, but generally the end result will be the child being able to obtain a passport that will be the evidence of citizenship they will use to enter the country. – Patricia Shanahan Dec 14 '19 at 18:13
  • 1
    Every country has some means to obtain travel documents on an urgent basis via the nearest embassy/consulate/high commission. – Michael Hampton Dec 14 '19 at 18:22
  • 1
    @PatriciaShanahan I suspect that the US would admit a child in such circumstances, but it would have to be at the land border, and it might take quite a while for the immigration officer to evaluate the claim of US nationality for the child. I would never count on this working. – phoog Dec 14 '19 at 21:20
  • 1
    I think @phoog is just presenting the US as a example of a country that does admit someone who is actually a citizen without a passport. However, it is definitely not hassle-free, and would be especially risky if the child was born abroad and has neither a US passport nor a Consular Report of Birth Abroad. – Patricia Shanahan Dec 14 '19 at 21:25

There are three different issues here:

  • What is the citizenship of the child?
  • Can the child prove the citizenship to the satisfaction of the border officials?
  • Can the child prove the citizenship to the satisfaction of the airline staff?

The child in the example may well be a Pakistani citizen, with no easy way to prove it. Many countries fine airlines if they bring passengers without the necessary entry documents, so airlines do a check and they are usually not prepared to compare birth certificates or whatever -- they want to see a passport or national identity card.

  • I assumed the child traveling with their own parents and make as a guarantee for their child to enter, since every country in the world applies filiation – us er Dec 14 '19 at 18:02
  • 6
    @user, not every country accepts citizenship by descent in every case, and the airline staff will not want to make that call. – o.m. Dec 14 '19 at 18:09
  • 4
    @user the airline is not going to make judgment calls about any country's nationality law, and they are not going to make a judgment call about the validity of the birth certificate or other evidence of parent-child relationship. The laws I've seen, in any event, do not make airlines responsible to judge passengers' admissibility, but only to make a good faith effort to check that they have certain documents. That's why they require passports and visas. A recently naturalized US citizen can show up with a naturalization certificate bearing a photograph, but the airline won't care. – phoog Dec 14 '19 at 21:25
  • @user Where is the proof that the adults are the parents of the child? (Of course if the child had valid documents in their own right, such proof would be irrelevant). – alephzero Dec 14 '19 at 21:50
  • Birth certificate in the scenario I'm presenting. – us er Dec 14 '19 at 21:51

The child will be considered as a US citizen and is required to take Pakistani visa.

  • 3
    Assuming the child is under age 21, Pakistan does allow dual citizenship. There may be an option of getting Pakistani citizenship by descent and a Pakistan passport. – Patricia Shanahan Dec 14 '19 at 14:15
  • @PatriciaShanahan Yes, but the OP is asking what happens if they try to fly to Pakistan without a Pakistani passport. – lambshaanxy Dec 15 '19 at 1:07

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.