I will be visiting my parents in Ohio and plan to drive their car while visiting. Is it common with US auto insurance to allow others to drive their car? If not, how can I get covered for this? I'm on a Dutch driver's license.

  • 10
    US auto insurance policies often cover people who borrow the car with permission for short periods, but to be certain, your parents should read their policy. Dec 13, 2019 at 22:56
  • 1
    Have you asked your parents if you’d be covered?
    – Traveller
    Dec 14, 2019 at 15:24
  • How can we know the details of your parents' insurance?
    – Neusser
    Dec 14, 2019 at 23:38
  • Do you own a car and/or have other insurance that includes general liability coverage? If so, you should also look into the coverage provided by that insurance to see whether it might be relevant.
    – phoog
    Dec 16, 2019 at 18:54

1 Answer 1


Nobody can answer this question other than your parents insurance policy/company.

Many insurance policies will cover any driver for period of time, especially when that person is a family member - however this is not true for all policies, and the only way to be sure is to check the policy.

  • It's worth adding that coverage for permissive drivers will only be in place if a) such coverage is expressly included in the policy, and b) if the permissive driver is licensed and can legally drive the vehicle under the law of the particular state. Dec 16, 2019 at 16:39
  • The OP also might have coverage under his own insurance, if any.
    – phoog
    Dec 16, 2019 at 18:55

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .