I am Indian pursuing masters in Italy ! My permesso di soggiorno recently expired and I applied for renewal I have the receipt .. can I visit Budapest with the receipt !


As stated on the official Polizia di Stato website:

Foreigners awaiting renewal of their residence permits can leave and re-enter Italy if they hold:

  • The receipt issued by Italian Post offices (Poste Italiane S.p.A) certifying the submission of the application for renewal of their residence permit or EC residence permit for long-term residents;

  • The expired residence permit;

  • Their passport or other equivalent travel document;

  • they do not visit any other Schengen state.

So therefore, it is possible to leave the country and re-enter again with your receipt of renewal, as long as you follow the rules outlined above, but unfortunately you cannot go to Budapest as Hungary is a Schengen country.

Additionally, if you have not requested a renewal but your Residence Permit has expired less than 60 days ago, you can enter Italy as long as you are possession of a valid Visto di Reingresso, which is issued only in the presence of an authorized police station.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.