My son is born in Russia but we are not Russians I obtain an citizenship of my country and he will have the passport.

Dose he need an exit visa in his passport to leave the country ?

If so what it takes and how long ?

  • 3
    Which citizenship does your son hold? Please edit your question to add the appropriate tag (e.g. indian-citizens, danish-citizens, etc) Commented Dec 11, 2019 at 12:59
  • As far as I can understand the law, yes (unless the child's nationality grants him visa waiver for Russia). Child or adult, the only exception to the requirement of exit visas is when the person in question has permanent residency in Russia (вид на жительство).
    – ach
    Commented Dec 11, 2019 at 14:56
  • No my son just got a US passport and just born in Russia
    – Fred
    Commented Dec 15, 2019 at 8:18

1 Answer 1


Unlike US, Russia is not a Jus soli but a Jus sanguinis state.
That means if at least one of the parents is not a Russian citizen then a child got no rights to the Russian citizenship.
So your son is not a Russian citizen at all.
Also there is no such thing as exit visa in Russia, people (with exception of people working with classified info) can exit Russia freely (but they need an entry visa from the state they're headed into).
For children you should have either both parents present or a written consent of another parent to cross the border (and some evidence you're actually their parents).

  • I think there is such thing as an exit visa for people who are residents on work visas.
    – alamar
    Commented Dec 30, 2019 at 15:26
  • @alamar people without Russian citizenship may lose their residency or entry right if they leave depending of circumstances but his doesn't mean they need a visa to exit Commented Dec 30, 2019 at 15:30
  • I think that people include implicit "without legal repercussions" to their questions about crossing borders.
    – alamar
    Commented Dec 30, 2019 at 15:31
  • 1
    UPD: Actually, from quick googling it seems that exit visa does not exist anymore.
    – alamar
    Commented Dec 30, 2019 at 15:33
  • @alamar it's not a legal repercussion, it's just that you have to abide by terms under which you're permitted to enter and stay in the Russian soil. Even then if there is some paperwork to do to exit "cleanly" that paperwork is still not called "visa" Commented Dec 30, 2019 at 15:37

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .