When travelling for a long period of time, refilling water bottles can be a challenge. This is particularly true for long overland public transportation journeys in summer, as one cannot easily carry as much water as when travelling by car.
The availability of public drinking water fountains varies widely between countries and cities, as does information about such fountains. The topic regularly comes up on this site:
- Are there drinking water fountains airside at London City Airport?
- Are there any drinking-water fountains in Prague PRG airport?
- Are there drinking water fountains at Birmingham Airport (UK)?
- Where to find public water taps in the Netherlands?
- Is it safe to drink the water in the fountains found all over the older parts of Rome?
- Where to refill my bottle in India?
- ... etc.
I'm looking for a generic solution to this problem.
Is there any website or smartphone application that travellers can use internationally to locate a source of (free) drinking water? I'm aware the data would probably have to be crowd-sourced. Openstreetmap has Tag:amenity=drinking_water, Tag:man_made=drinking_fountain, and Tag:drinking_water=yes, but I don't know how to easily search for such categories while travelling, and there may be more complete sources that I'm unaware of.
(The safety of such water is a separate issue that I will consider out of the scope of this question.)