We'll be attending the Formula 1 race in Aug, 2020 at the Hungaroring. We'll be staying somewhere in Budapest (exact location yet to be determined, but likely near some of the touristy places).
What are the public transport options (2 quite able adults carrying small day-packs) to travel between (downtown-ish) Budapest and the track? Currently, according to Google maps, it's a 1.5-2.5 hour bus ride (from generic, downtown Budapest). However, it's showing the next departure time is 22:50. At this time of the evening, it makes sense that buses may not be running with the same frequency they would be on Friday through Sunday morning.
- Are there dedicated buses running to the track?
- Does the regular city bus line run to the track much more frequently during "normal" daytime hours making it a much shorter trip?
- Is there some sort of train/tram (that doesn't run this late in the evening)?
- Is there some other dedicated "to the track" transportation that could be recommended?
- I'm sure I could get a taxi, but since I'll be an obvious tourist and don't speak Hungarian, I'm not sure that I'd get a great deal...
I'm not opposed to renting a car and driving (did that for the Austrian GP last year) if driving is the best option (Google is showing <30 min drive time - I know it will be more with race traffic), but it seems that public transport would likely be a better, simpler option since the track is fairly close (22 km) to downtown.
If someone has local knowledge of the Budapest area and/or has attended the Hungarian GP and has recommendations of a better place to stay than downtown, I'm certainly open to options, but that's really a secondary issue (and probably worthy of its own question, eventually), and that would be better suited to a comment rather than an answer. (No, track-side camping is not an option.)