I am currently on exchange under a J-1 Visa. I know I can stay another 30 days longer after my Visa expires, however I intend to travel around the USA and stay for 45 days after my visa expires. What are my options for extending my stay? Do I need to register for the VWP?

  • 1
    Do you have the two year home residence requirement? – Michael Hampton Nov 27 '19 at 1:49
  • No, I cannot become permanent residents in the U.S, change status in the U.S., or get work or family-based visa status. – Lois Hutubessy Nov 27 '19 at 2:14
  • For completeness, what is your citizenship? – Traveller Nov 27 '19 at 2:18
  • 1
    US visas are solely for entry and the visa's expiration date has nothing to do with how long you can stay. You can stay for 30 days after the completion of your J-1 program, as given on your DS-2019. Are you saying that you want to stay for 45 days after the end of your J-1 program? – user102008 Nov 27 '19 at 3:14
  • To confirm, your J-1 visa and/or DS-2019 says that you are subject to the INA 212(e) two-year home residency requirement, correct? – user102008 Nov 27 '19 at 19:30

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.