My daughter wants to study in Germany for 6 months through a student exchange programme. She has dual citizenship - Czech Republic (EU) and New Zealand (non-EU), however she only has NZ passport, her CZ one has expired a long time ago.

As a Czech citizen she could go study in Germany without any restrictions for as long as she wanted, however as a New Zealand citizen should could only stay there for 3 months max without needing a visa.

Unfortunately renewing the CZ passport is quite complicated and expensive as she would have to travel to the nearest CZ embassy which is in Sydney, Australia. We would like to avoid that if possible.

So the question is - can she stay in Germany for 6 months just on her NZ passport as she's entitled to through the CZ citizenship? Or does she need a German student visa? Or go get the CZ passport renewed regardless the cost?

  • 1
    She could travel to Germany and get a new Czech passport or ID card after she gets there.
    – phoog
    Nov 11, 2019 at 7:34
  • @phoog not being a German resident, no Czech consulate would be responsible for her. For a study in Baden-Württemberg, non EU Citizens must pay a tuition (everywere elswe it is free). Nov 12, 2019 at 11:49
  • You should contact the consulate in Sydney and ask under what conditions (if possible) a passport can be issued/applied for directly inside the Czech Republic. Nov 12, 2019 at 12:09
  • @MarkJohnson are the Czechs so strict about residence? What does a Czech citizen do if her passport or ID is lost or stolen while she is visiting Germany?
    – phoog
    Nov 12, 2019 at 14:56
  • @phoog That is the statement of the Czech Embassy site in Berlin. List of states around Berlin where you must be a resident of. ist für die in den Bundesländern Berlin, Brandenburg, Bremen, Hamburg, Mecklenburg-Vorpommern, Niedersachsen, Hessen, Nordrhein-Westfalen und Schleswig-Holstein wohnenden Antragsteller zuständig. mzv.cz/berlin/de/visa_und_konsularinformationen/… Nov 12, 2019 at 15:02

1 Answer 1

  • She can't get a student visa. She would be asked to disclose all her current and past citizenships, and once she mentions the current Czech one she is no longer eligible.
  • Since NZ is an Annex II country, she could arrive visa-free on her NZ passport and sort things out in Germany. That would leave an entry stamp with no matching exit in the passport, but the same 'incomplete' travel history pattern applies to anyone who gains an EU citizenship while in the Schengen area.
    Problem I: The university might not enroll her while her status is unclear.
    Problem II: Getting the passport might take more than 90 days. (I doubt that ...)
  • She could ask at an EU embassy in NZ for consular aid in getting home, i.e. temporary travel papers. That rule is more intended for tourists who get their papers stolen, however.
  • Thanks @o.m. I asked the Czech embassy in Sydney and they advised to contact the German embassy directly to figure out what to do as without any valid (non-expired) Czech ID my daughter can't prove her current Czech citizenship and hence will be treated as a New Zealand citizen upon arrival to Germany. Will see what the Germans say. Nov 12, 2019 at 20:21

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .