I know you can visit Schengen/EES with a Swedish National ID Card, and also Croatia, Bosnia and in some cases Tunisia. Are there more places you can visit with a Swedish National ID Card?


1 Answer 1


You can visit the following countries using just a Swedish National ID Card:

  • Nordics

    • Denmark (incl. Faroe Islands & Greenland)
    • Finland
    • Iceland
    • Norway (incl. Svalbard)
  • Schengen (excl. Nordics)

    • Austria
    • Belgium
    • Czech Republic
    • Estonia
    • France (incl. overseas territories & Monaco)
    • Germany
    • Greece
    • Hungary
    • Italy (incl. San Marino & Vatican City)
    • Latvia
    • Liechtenstein
    • Lithuania
    • Luxembourg
    • Malta
    • Netherlands (European part only)
    • Poland
    • Portugal
    • Slovakia
    • Slovenia
    • Spain
    • Switzerland
  • Non-Schengen EU countries:

    • Bulgaria
    • Croatia
    • Cyprus
    • Ireland
    • Romania
  • Non-EU/Schengen countries in Europe (but a passport is required to fly directly from Sweden)

    • Albania
    • Andorra
    • Bosnia and Herzegovina
    • Gibraltar
    • Guernsey+Jersey (for those aged below 19 in an organised school group, OR the designated categories accepted for the United Kingdom)
    • Kosovo
    • Moldova
    • Montenegro
    • North Cyprus
    • North Macedonia
    • Serbia
    • Transnistria (de facto)
    • United Kingdom for designated categories, OR if entering at the Irish land border)
  • Rest of the world (but a passport is required to fly directly from Sweden)

    • Georgia
    • Montserrat (if in transit to a third country for max 14 days)
    • Morocco (1-day excursions by FRS ferry from Spain to Tangier)
    • Tunisia (package holidays)
  • 1
    With a valid national ID card from a EU country, you can visit all 28 EU member states, plus the four EFTA countries (Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, and Switzerland)
    – CSM
    Nov 4, 2019 at 19:11
  • 4
    The multiple listings of certain countries detracts from the readability of this answer. The English abbreviation of the European Economic Community, furthermore, is EEC.
    – phoog
    Nov 4, 2019 at 20:39
  • 4
    This answer lacks information about the strange oddity, that it is a violation of Swedish law for Swedish citizens to leave from Sweden directly to a non-EEC country without a proper passport, even if the destination country accepts Swedish id cards. Nov 4, 2019 at 22:35
  • 1
    @Tor-EinarJarnbjo Indeed, I'll add it. Also, for trivia, I'm working on an elaborate proposal of a proposition for the law to be modified to remove that restriction, which I'll send by regular mail to the Ministry of Justice (who's in charge of this law). That said, at least at Arlanda airport it's possible to trick the border police and effectively circumvent it if you know what you're doing
    – Crazydre
    Nov 4, 2019 at 22:38
  • 3
    @JonathanReezSupportsMonica Can emphatically not recommend it though for those unfamiliar with the rules and who's responsible for what, as many handling agents, especially in West Europe and above all in Scandinavia, don't get this aspect. As such what I do is email the handling agent at the departure airport in advance. If they say I can fly, all good. Otherwise, I contact the airline and ask them to insert an SSR CKIN. For Belavia, Qatar Airways and Turkish Airlines I have the internal emails of the docs control specialist units, while for Pegasus and UIA, the contact centre is helpful.
    – Crazydre
    Nov 4, 2019 at 23:23

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .