I know you can visit Schengen/EES with a Swedish National ID Card, and also Croatia, Bosnia and in some cases Tunisia. Are there more places you can visit with a Swedish National ID Card?


You can visit the following countries using just a Swedish National ID Card:

  • Europe

    • Nordics
      • Denmark
      • Faroe Islands
      • Finland
      • Greenland
      • Iceland
      • Norway
      • Svalbard
      • Åland
    • Schengen
      • Austria
      • The Azores (not in Europe)
      • Belgium
      • Canary Islands
      • Czech Republic
      • Denmark
      • Estonia
      • Finland
      • France
      • Germany
      • Greece
      • Hungary
      • Iceland
      • Italy
      • Latvia
      • Liechtenstein
      • Lithuania
      • Luxembourg
      • Madeira (not in Europe)
      • Malta
      • Netherlands
      • Norway
      • Poland
      • Portugal
      • Slovakia
      • Slovenia
      • Spain
      • Switzerland
    • EU Countries not members of Schengen:

      • Bulgaria
      • Croatia
      • Cyprus
      • Great Britain
      • Ireland
      • Romania
    • Non-EU/Schengen countries in Europe (but a passport is required to fly directly from Sweden)

  • Rest of the world (but a passport is required to fly directly from Sweden)
    • Dominica
    • French overseas territories
    • Montserrat (if in transit to a third country for max 14 days)
    • Sint Maarten (if arriving at L'Espérance Airport in the French part of the Island)
    • Tunisia (holiday packages)
  • 1
    With a valid national ID card from a EU country, you can visit all 28 EU member states, plus the four EFTA countries (Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, and Switzerland) – CSM Nov 4 '19 at 19:11
  • 3
    The multiple listings of certain countries detracts from the readability of this answer. The English abbreviation of the European Economic Community, furthermore, is EEC. – phoog Nov 4 '19 at 20:39
  • Not Turkey mate (however North Cyprus, practically an autonomous province of Turkey, is fine :) ) – Crazydre Nov 4 '19 at 22:21
  • 1
    @Crazydre you could also mention countries where you can transit with just an ID card, I remember you doing so in Ukraine – JonathanReez Nov 4 '19 at 22:48
  • 1
    @JonathanReezSupportsMonica Can emphatically not recommend it though for those unfamiliar with the rules and who's responsible for what, as many handling agents, especially in West Europe and above all in Scandinavia, don't get this aspect. As such what I do is email the handling agent at the departure airport in advance. If they say I can fly, all good. Otherwise, I contact the airline and ask them to insert an SSR CKIN. For Belavia, Qatar Airways and Turkish Airlines I have the internal emails of the docs control specialist units, while for Pegasus and UIA, the contact centre is helpful. – Crazydre Nov 4 '19 at 23:23

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.