I have lost my passport with my B1/B2 visa in it still valid for 5 years. I am still in my home country, will they put the visa into my new passport free of charge or do I need to go through everything again?

  • They will put a new visa for free (or maybe with a lower fee) in the new passport, but you have to prove that the old one was lost/stolen.
    – JuanCa
    Oct 30, 2019 at 15:41
  • @JuanCa I am skeptical of that claim. Do you have a reference to support it? If so, you should post an answer.
    – phoog
    Oct 30, 2019 at 15:42
  • @phoog That happened to a friend (but in that case, the passport was stolen) in US embassy, in my home country (Ecuador). If that is not a valid reference, no problem, I can delete the comment.
    – JuanCa
    Oct 30, 2019 at 15:43
  • 1
    @JuanCa not at all, personal experience is perfectly valid. Post an answer. I'll upvote it.
    – phoog
    Oct 30, 2019 at 15:44
  • 1
    @JuanCa Take a look at BritishSam's Answer below, which describes what the passport/visa owner must do in order to satisfy the US Embassy or Consulate to issue a new visa. Oct 30, 2019 at 16:09

1 Answer 1


You need to report it to your US consulate or Embassy for a replacement visa. You will need a new appointment like when you got your visa, you will also have to pay again. Also you will have to provide a written account of how you lost your passport containing your visa.

Report your Visa Lost/Stolen to the U.S. Embassy or Consulate Abroad

To report your visa lost or stolen, email the Consular Section at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate outside the United States which issued your visa. Go to the U.S. Embassy or Consulate website to locate the email address and contact information. Be sure to include your full name, date of birth, place of birth, address in the United States, and an e-mail address (if available). Specifically state whether the visa was lost or stolen. If you have a copy of the passport or visa, scan and email this to the embassy or consulate. Otherwise, if known, report the category of visa, and the passport number from the lost/stolen visa.

If you have already reported your visa lost/stolen to the U.S. Embassy or Consulate, and then you later find your misplaced visa, then your visa will be invalid for future travel to the United States. Therefore, in that situation you must apply for a new visa at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate.

Applying for a Replacement U.S. Visa

Lost or stolen U.S. visas cannot be replaced in the United States. For replacement of a visa, you must apply in person at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate abroad. When applying for the replacement of a visa, you will need to provide a written account documenting the loss of your passport and visa. Include a copy of the police report.


You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .