I’m confused about my stay in Brazil. I have a Romanian passport (part of the European Union), and I don’t need a visa if I want to stay in Brazil up to 90 days.

I understood that the 90 days are counted continuously from the day I arrived.

If I arrived in Brazil on 1st of September, am I allowed to stay until 29th of November (90 days) no matter if I leave the country and renter in the meantime?

If that’s the case, if I want to stay more, is it possible to request 90 days more for a visa-free stay?

2 Answers 2


You can extend it, at the discretion of the police.

From Brazil Gringo:

Requests to extend your tourist visa for an additional 90 days must be made at the local Federal Police office. A complete list of Policia Federal locations is found at the bottom of this post.

It’s very important that you extend your stay before the initial 90 allotment has run out. If you stay 91 days and go to the Federal Police expecting to get an extension the Federal Police may give you a paper telling you that you have 7 days to leave the country instead.

You will need the following documents:

A filled out visa extension request form. Found here.

A printed bank statement or valid credit card to prove you will have sufficient money to spend another 90 days in the country; the bank statement has to be in your name.

Proof of outbound travel. For simplicity’s sake, bring an airline ticket. A bus ticket will probably work without too much explaining. Having none of this, but having hotel bookings in a neighboring country may work with a bit of explaining done in your best Portuguese.

Your passport with the entrance stamp to Brazil.

Your tourist card (Cartão de Entrada), issued when entering Brazil.

Receipt of payment of visa fee. To do this you’ll first need to fill out this online form (updated July 2018) and print out a receipt which you can pay at any bank. On the web form under Unidade Arrecadadora choose the city you’ll be submitting your request to. If you’re in a capital city you’ll choose Superintendincia regional no estado de [whatever state you’re in]. For codigo de receita STN use 140090, being the code for visa extentions. Then click ‘gerar guia,’ print out the form and pay the R$67 fee at the bank. Bring the receipt with you when you submit your visa application. Note that the website doesn’t always work with all browsers, so if it does something funny for you then try in a different browser.

  • I do NOT have a “tourist visa”. I’m using my passport and my stay is visa-free. I’m not sure if that means I have a a tourist visa, but I’m afraid it probably does not mean that... Oct 22, 2019 at 21:46
  • If you received a time period of 90 days, that's usually a tourist visa on arrival....
    – Mark Mayo
    Oct 22, 2019 at 21:48
  • Thanks! That makes sense. I will try calling them tomorrow and see what they say. Will return with some info here. :) Oct 23, 2019 at 0:42
  • 1
    I talked to Policia Federal and they told me I can easily extend my stay to 180, and I can go in the last 30 days of my first 90 day span (particularly, in Porto Alegre, they said I can go even two days before the first 90 days will expire, but that may differ from one office to another). Oct 23, 2019 at 13:31
  • @IonicăBizău fantastic!
    – Mark Mayo
    Oct 23, 2019 at 20:28

From this question:

As seen on their website Brazil allows:

The 90-day period begins on the date of first entry and will be counted continuously; during these 90 days, however, a multiple entry and exit is permitted (multiple entrance)

To extend your stay afterwards, you will need to apply for a visa.


You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .