My mother and I have different surnames so immigration officers often ask for a birth certificate.

Today I applied for my Internal Passport Of Russia. To apply, I had to hand in my birth certificate. The application takes 10 working days or less, but I leave the country in around 7/8 working days.

I am worried the application couldn’t be completed in time. This isn’t a problem as the passport can be held for a year, before my next visit. But the issue is, I won’t be able to leave the country if my passport isn’t ready as I can’t collect my birth certificate.

What can be done in this case?

  • Daniil, is it to prove you are the son of your mother? If so, any form she has to prove that might be enough.
    – Willeke
    Commented Oct 19, 2019 at 15:44
  • @Willeke yes it is as we have different surnames. Unsure if we are allowed to exit with no proof
    – Xnero
    Commented Oct 19, 2019 at 15:44
  • 1
    @David, it seems that the problem is not to show a passport but to prove that Daniil is traveling with his mother and as such not being abducted or running away. With different names, having proof of the relationship is more important.
    – Willeke
    Commented Oct 19, 2019 at 16:26
  • 3
    @Daniil Might you be able to get another copy of your birth certificate before you're scheduled to leave? Commented Oct 19, 2019 at 17:18
  • 3
    This is a good idea. I've had two official copies of my birth certificate for over a decade. It occasionally comes in handy. Commented Oct 19, 2019 at 17:37

1 Answer 1


I got a new birth certificate just in case but I was able to call the passport office and they were happy to prioritise my application. Now, my Internal Passport acts as my birth certificate and I can leave the country.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .