My friends and I are going to Japan in October. A coworker mentioned that there's a site where university students will gladly guide tourists in exchange for transportation/food costs and learning English. He doesn't remember where he found the forum though.

Does anyone know where we can get a local tour guide?

  • I posted in chat ("You are here") several months back a link or two to websites where Japanese people do certain tourist activities with you for about $25 or so. If I don't provide you with a link within a week or two, ping me. Mar 25, 2013 at 2:26
  • govoyagin.com was one of the sites I was thinking of. Oct 6, 2013 at 3:57

1 Answer 1


They are called Goodwill Guides. Your description is spot on. They only want to have travel etc paid for. But you will not only find students but also retirees and housewives.

I know one page with a huge list. Here is another one of such sites that covers several areas of Japan. If you are in Tokyo, you might want to go directly to this page.


You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .