I am an Indian citizen. I am flying from Toronto to New Delhi. I have two transits: one at Lisbon airport and the second one at Madrid airport.

While the Consulate of Portugal has assured me that I do not need an airport transit visa during my 2 hours stay in Lisbon airport, I did not get a definitive answer from the consulate of Spain in Toronto.

At Madrid airport, I need to make a transfer from Terminal 2 to Terminal 1.

Does anyone here know whether I need to pass through immigration while making this transition in Madrid and if so, do I need a Schengen visa for that?

2 Answers 2


Since you are transiting in both Lisbon and Madrid, you will be entering the Schengen Area and not just transiting. Therefore, as soon as no visa-free travel is allowed to Indian citizens, you will need a regular Schengen short stay visa, regardless of the terminal situation in Madrid.

As you are entering through Portugal, you should apply for such a visa at the consulate of Portugal.

The consulate of Portugal likely told you the contrary because they didn't realize you will be going to Spain next, and not directly to India.

You should now decide whether you actually want to go through the visa application process, or maybe just rebook your flights such that you only transit at one Schengen Airport (e. g. YYZ-FRA-DEL). Look at the costs for the visa and for rebooking the flights before making your decision.

  • I have amended the answer adding a bit of detail (Indians can't travel Schengen visa-free or with the so-called airport visa like a list of other countries). However, I'll not be amending another part which I would like to discuss. The OP could apply at either Portugal or Spain, because AFAIK one should apply at the consulate of the country where the traveler plans to stay longer (e.g. 5 days Spain, 5 Switzerland, 10 days Latvia, Latvia is the winner). This information could be useful according to appointment queues Jan 5, 2022 at 11:46

You need a Schengen type C short stay visa for this itinerary.

The terminal change in Madrid isn't relevant; the fact that you are entering the Schengen area at Lisbon and exiting Schengen in Madrid is the important bit. To do this, you need to have the regular Schengen visa.

  • As I understand the question, OP is not traveling between Lisbon and Madrid, but transiting twice (perhaps once on the outbound journey from India to Canada and the other time on the way back).
    – dbkk
    Oct 7, 2019 at 22:15
  • 1
    @dbkk The question only mentions one, one-way flight. Oct 7, 2019 at 22:18
  • @dbkk I think the one-way interpretation is correct, and such itineraries do exist.
    – Mophotla
    Oct 7, 2019 at 22:19
  • 1
    I am transiting twice during my journey from Canada to India, which means I am traveling between Lisbon to Madrid..
    – pankaj
    Oct 7, 2019 at 22:58
  • @pankaj While your question asked only about a trip from Canada to India, it is indeed true that if you take a similar but reversed itinerary from India back to Canada, you will need a valid Schengen visa for that journey as well. Oct 8, 2019 at 17:12

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .