I am planning to travel to Iran (I am Iranian also) from the U.S. (and I have a permanent residency card i.e. Green card holder) ... do I need a transit visa at Vienna airport?


Short Answer: No, you don't need a transit visa for Austria.

Long Answer: If an airline passenger is refused entry at a transit point or destination, the airline is required to return the passenger to the point of departure at the airline's expense (although they may try to recover the cost from the passenger). Thus, airlines are very careful to determine what documents are required by a particular passenger's travel before allowing that passenger to board. Airlines use the IATA database Timatic to reveal what documents are required.

Putting your information into Timatic through this online portal (there other others), generates this:

National Iran (IR)
/Residence USA (US)

Transit Austria (AT)
/Destination Iran (IR)


Austria (AT)

TWOV (Transit Without Visa): Visa required, except for Nationals of Iran, arriving from a non-Schengen Member State with a confirmed onward ticket for a flight to a third country which is not a Schengen Member State. They must:

  • have a residence permit issued by USA, and
  • stay in the international transit area of the airport, and
  • have documents required for the next destination.


Passport required. - Nationals of Iran are allowed to enter with an expired passport



Thus, because you will arrive from a non-Schengen state with an onward ticket for a third country which is not a Schengen state, you can transit in Vienna without a transit visa provided you stay in the airport's international transit area.

| improve this answer | |
  • Thank you David for the information ... I actually called the airline (Austrian airline) and the customer service refused to answer and told me to contact consulate of Austria! ... I am checking your link, why I do not get those information that you provided? it just gives me a general information – baldeagle67 Oct 2 '19 at 2:04
  • 1
    @baldeagle67 at the linked duplicate you will find links to the EU legislation that says that having a green card exempts you from a transit visa requirement if you would otherwise have one. But do be aware that you will not be permitted to go through passport control without a regular Schengen (type C or D) visa. In particular, if you have any checked luggage it must be checked through, because you will be unable to reach the baggage carousel. – phoog Oct 2 '19 at 2:11
  • @baldeagle67 I presume you've not entered all the relevant information in the correct fields. I just entered your information again, and was rewarded with the same data. You could also try this different Timatic portal, which contains fewer fields and may be easier to use: cms.olympicair.com/timatic/webdocsI/spdbmainv.html – DavidSupportsMonica Oct 2 '19 at 14:55

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.