I am an EU citizen (but not French) and would like my family member to apply for a French visa. We would arrive in France from different places and meet in Paris to spend a day there and then leave the Schengen zone together.

One of the questions on the visa form asks the following (emphasis mine):

Do you join or travel with a family member from an EU country (excluding France), the EEA or the Swiss Confederation?

Answering "yes" would reduce the number of required documents so we'd like to qualify if possible. But the question is: What exactly do they mean by "joining"?

I will be in France on the date of my family member's arrival there. But I am not residing in France. Would that still count as joining?

  • 1
    But what is the citizenship of your family member?
    – Ana
    Oct 1, 2019 at 7:20
  • 1
    @Ana: One of the gray ones: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/… :)
    – Leo
    Oct 1, 2019 at 16:41
  • 1
    Joining doesn’t just mean joining someone who lives in a country. But specifically what is the relationship between you and the family member?
    – MJeffryes
    Oct 3, 2019 at 19:31

1 Answer 1


Free movement also covers short-term travel, so your being in France is sufficient for this trip to constitute "joining" you. But unless your family relationship falls under the free movement directive, your relative will need a standard Schengen visa with the application requiring the larger set of supporting documents.

If you don't live together, it is more or less limited to dependent parents, dependent children, and spouse or registered domestic partner.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .