I have to renew my business visa for Belgium, this time I want to take my wife & child with me.

  • For them the visa category would be tourist only.?
  • Can I submit their application (tourist visa) along with mine (business visa)?
  • My wife is not working, she is home maker, so I have to submit a sponsorship letter mentioning that I will be covering her expenses ?
  • what nationality are you and your wife? If for instance your wife is a EU citizen, you don't need any visa. – 3kstc Oct 22 '19 at 0:08

Short answer: Yes to all 3 questions.

Each applicant must apply for a visa

  • even in cases where a 'Family' Passport exists

Multiple reasons can be given that must be specific to each applicant

  • Tourism and Business

  • Tourism only

Field 33 is where the sponsorship should be noted

  • other (please specify):
    • the extremely tiny area could be used to reference an accompanying letter
  • check All expenses covered during the stay

Submitting all applications togeather may avoid multiple copies of the needed documentation. A covering letter with the sponsor Application stating that they are sponsoring their spouse/children would not harm in case the applications get separated.

Note: Family members of EU-Citizens that need a visa

  • do not need to fill out the Fields that contain a '*' before the field number
  • but instead must fill out the Fields 34 and 35

As a general statement (made as a comment to this question)

If for instance your wife is a EU citizen, you don't need any visa.

is only correct when the answer to the following question is yes:

Is the visa applicant accompanying or joining the EU citizen?

  • accompanies (i.e. travels together with) an EU citizen:
  • joins (i.e. travels later than) an EU citizen:

The Directive seeks to facilitate and promote free movement of EU citizens. It does not apply to mobility of the family members if there is no link to a mobile EU citizens, for example when the family member travels alone to a Member State in which the EU citizen does not reside and will not travel to.

2.3 Visa exemption under the Schengen Borders Code gives the following sample:

A Slovak citizen resides with his Chinese spouse in Ireland. The Chinese spouse holding a residence card, issued by Ireland under Article 10 of the Directive, travels alone to France. As she travels alone, she needs to apply for a visa to enter France

Information is based on:

Usage of the term EU citizen: EU/EEA and Swiss citizens.


For them the visa category would be tourist only?


Can I submit their application (tourist visa) along with me (business visa)?


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.