My grand son studying 3rd Std is with us, with his parents away in Bangalore. He has an expired-passport and a school ID card. He has no Aadhaar card yet. For entry into airports, what proof should I carry for him? Will a School photo ID, or a notary or a certificate by (Central/State ) Gztd Officer serve the purpose?

  • @ KC Rao What do you mean by ‘entry into airports’?
    – Traveller
    Sep 17, 2019 at 6:00
  • 2
    @Traveller Indian airports generally have a check at the door to enter the airport terminal. Sep 17, 2019 at 7:07

1 Answer 1


This notification from the Bureau of Civil Aviation Security says:

  1. There shall not be any requirement of identity proof in respect of Infant/Minor accompanied by their parents/guardian who is a bonafide passenger having a valid identity proof as listed above. However, an unaccompanied minor shall be required to produce a valid identity proof as listed above.

If you accompany the child, it looks like they won't need an ID card for entering the airport. It also says:

  1. In case of a passenger who for some valid reasons is not in a position to produce any of the above-listed photo identity proofs, the Identity Certificate issued by a Group' A' Gazetted Officer of the Central/State Government on his official letterhead with passenger's photograph duly attested will be valid for this purpose.

The list of acceptable identity proofs (given in item (2)) is:

  1. Passport;
  2. Voter Photo Identity card issued by Election Commission of India;
  3. Aadhaar or m-Aadhaar issued by Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI);
  4. PAN Card issued by Income Tax Department;
  5. Driving License issued by RTO;
  6. Service Photo Identity Card issued by State/Central Government, Public Sector Undertakings, local bodies or Public Limited Companies;
  7. Student Photo Identity Cards issued by Government Institutions/Government recognized Educational Institutions;
  8. Nationalized Bank Passbook with attested Photograph;
  9. Pension card / Pension documents having photograph of the passenger;
  10. Disability Photo ID Card/handicapped medical certificate issued by the respective State/UT Governments/Administrations

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.