I'm an American, traveling from Dublin to Belfast by bus. Where do I get my passport stamped to prove that I have left Ireland (I will have stayed 90 days here) and to show the beginning date for my UK stay (hoping to stay 3 months) Thanks all

  • See this related question travel.stackexchange.com/questions/138745/…
    – Traveller
    Sep 9 '19 at 9:27
  • Jason do you have any advice for me. Do you think they may grant me an extention because of my mistake, I have already finalized all my travel plans through the UK. Sep 9 '19 at 9:32
  • Extension of your Irish visitor permission is possible in extreme unforeseen circumstances, but unlikely in your case as extensions are not given simply to allow the applicant to continue tourist activities inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/…
    – Traveller
    Sep 9 '19 at 9:43
  • 7
    @TenzinTharpa Just a small note, but you might confuse people if you call the channel tunnel "the tube". The tube is the underground railway in London. I've never heard anyone call the channel tunnel "the tube".
    – MJeffryes
    Sep 9 '19 at 10:43
  • 1
    @tenzin yes that is a very good idea Sep 9 '19 at 10:47

You actually cannot travel to the UK after spending 90 days in Ireland. The 90 days is for the whole common travel area, not just the Republic of Ireland!

The UK and Republic of Ireland form part of the common travel area https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_Travel_Area

This means that there are no border checks, immigration, or customs between the two countries so there is no possibility to get your passport stamped as proof. Therefore, the 90 days stay which you were allowed when you entered the Republic of Ireland applies to the whole common travel area, not just the Republic.

This post describes in more details for different circumstances.

Implications in crossing the Ireland/Northern Ireland land border for an American

FYI regarding cross border travel: It is generally accepted that you need to retain your own proof of travel between the countries. This means boarding passes, ferry tickets, train tickets, bus tickets etc. that prove your travel. This should be sufficient in most cases.

  • 11
    It is very important to note this was written on September 9, 2019. Whether this is valid in two months and later, noone knows.
    – chx
    Sep 9 '19 at 9:13
  • 10
    @chx On the contrary, the basic rules for the Common Travel Area is probably the only aspect that we can be sure of not changing. There has been agreement, from all sides, since day one of this affair. Sep 9 '19 at 9:33
  • 2
    I find your <del>lack of</del> faith disturbing.
    – chx
    Sep 9 '19 at 9:44
  • 4
    @chx As a 13 year old boy in Ireland in 1968/69 we had faith that the problems then would blow over. Reality taught us otherwise in the later years. My hope (faith) is that common sense will prevail after the reality of the present situation sinks in. Sep 9 '19 at 10:38
  • 4
    @chx Just as several non-EU countries are part of the Schengen area (a collaboration for common immigration control just as the CTA), there are no inherent reasons why the CTA can't remain exactly as it works today even if UK leaves the EU. Brexit is complicated enough, even if you don't invent or predict totally imaginary problems. Sep 9 '19 at 13:31

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.