I am Australian and as such from a non-EU country and hold a German "Blue Card EU" which is tied to a job I had in Germany. I worked there for 1 year but stopped working there last week.

I am now in the process of applying for a Swiss working permit and I intend to move there and begin working there when that is finished. I was told that it could take more than 3 months though to get the working permit, which is kind of worrying because I am only allowed 90 visa-free days in the Schengen zone.

Therefore my question is: how long can I stay in Germany now that I have quit the job for which I had my Blue Card? Citizens of my country get 90 visa free days, so there's that, but do I get any "extra" time thanks to my blue card? It surely musn't expire as soon as I quit my job, right?

  • You would get better answers on our Expatriates site, which is intended for questions about living and working abroad. – DJClayworth Sep 5 at 15:50

You are allowed to stay 3 months after losing your job, afterwards when your Blue Card may be withdrawn:

What happens if I lose my current job while an EU Blue Card holder?

If this happens, then you are allowed to stay unemployed for 3 months in order to find a new job otherwise your EU Blue Card may be withdrawn and you may be asked to leave the hosting country.

(EU Blue Card FAQ page)

  • 1
    Note: 'may be withdrawn'. – Tor-Einar Jarnbjo Sep 5 at 16:30
  • This seems unrelated to what I have. It says Australians are ineligible, though I am Australian and indeed a blue card holder (I have it in my hand right now and it says it is a "Blaue Karte EU"), so I don't know what the website is talking about but it's not what I have – houlahaj Sep 5 at 19:09
  • @houlahaj you never said you were Australian, please clarify your question in the future. Thanks – Daniil Sep 5 at 20:44
  • 2
    Yes I should have said that first, sorry. Thanks for the reply. I wasn't criticizing what you said, rather the website you supplied, which says Australians are ineligible for the "Blue Card EU" which is certainly doesn't seem to be the case. – houlahaj Sep 5 at 21:37
  • Your source appears to be a third-party site, not official government information. – Nate Eldredge Sep 6 at 15:29

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.