I am applying for a new Indian Passport for my dad. Since he is above 50, the website is taking Non-Emigration Check Required (ECR) category by default.

The problem is my dad does not have the following documents:

  1. No birth certificate
  2. Although he has passed class 10, we do not have a class 10 certificate. The school was in our village and is probably closed now.
  3. He has a PAN card and it has the correct birthdate, but he has been retired (business) from quite sometime now. We do not have any Income tax return file or anything.

What else can be used to prove Non-ECR category?

  • what did you finally use for the non-ECR proof ? I am in the same pickle, my mom des not have birth certificate or school leaving certificate. Please let me know.
    – Sonali
    Commented Oct 30, 2020 at 20:25
  • From the question and the answer given, a PAN card. But as this is not an answer to the question it has to be deleted. (I can convert it into a comment and hope you get more information.)
    – Willeke
    Commented Oct 30, 2020 at 20:31
  • An explanation what ECR is would be nice. Commented Oct 31, 2020 at 3:45
  • @MarkJohnson boi.gov.in/content/encrecr Commented Oct 31, 2020 at 7:05
  • @Sonali If I remember correctly only the Aadhar card did the trick. But give me some time I will ask them and get back. Commenting now to inform that I am inquiring and will get back.
    – Haris
    Commented Nov 1, 2020 at 8:00

1 Answer 1


The PAN card is an identity document. Its valid even if you did not file income tax or used for sometime. It can be used to prove the date of birth.

See: https://portal2.passportindia.gov.in/AppOnlineProject/pdf/PressRelease_PassportRule.pdf

  • Thanks for the response Anish.. What I am unsure is, it says it can be used as proof of DOB, but I dont see anywhere written that it will work for proving non-ECR status.. That is making me doubt whether it will work or not..
    – Haris
    Commented Sep 9, 2019 at 9:02
  • PAN Card has date of birth, right? So, its a verified information. You can use that for proving age and thereby granting non-ECR. Commented Sep 9, 2019 at 9:25

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .