A US minor's passport still has 2 years remaining, however, is it possible to preemptively extend it, anticipating a foreign relocation?

  • There's no need to do that. You can renew the passport at the US consulate or embassy.
    – phoog
    Commented Aug 29, 2019 at 3:01
  • It is also entirely possible to renew a passport while reading in a foreign country. Commented Aug 29, 2019 at 3:49

1 Answer 1


You may apply for a new passport at any time. Link The ability to obtain a new passport does not change whether a minor or not. But you may not renew a minor's passport.

All passport applicants under 16 must apply in person using Form DS-11. You can not use Form DS-82 to renew your passport.

  • 1
    Note that only a US passport issued when the person is 16 or older can be "renewed". Since the title says "minor", there is a good chance the passport was issued before the person was 16, and thus cannot be "renewed"; and they would need to instead apply for a new passport.
    – user102008
    Commented Aug 29, 2019 at 23:45
  • @user102008 duly noted and edited!
    – Ozzy
    Commented Aug 29, 2019 at 23:54

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .