I have a driver license issued in my country (Egypt), can I use it in California? I'm staying with a J-1 visa. My name is written in English but the expiration date is in Arabic numerals.


This California DMV page says:

Adults Visiting California

Visitors over 18 years old with a valid DL from their home state or country may drive in California without getting a California DL as long as their home state or country DL is valid.

| improve this answer | |

You are probably better off getting a California license:

Tourists may drive rental cars in California for one year as long as they have a valid driver’s license from their home country. See theDepartment of Motor Vehicles (link is external) for complete details.


| improve this answer | |
  • Please add a reference to your claim. I don't see one in the quote. – JonathanReez Aug 26 '19 at 22:51

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.