I arrived in France in January 2019 on VLS/TS Type D Visa (valid for 1 year). Then I also got the sticker from OFII. My visa is going to expire in October 2019, so I applied for the renewal at the local prefecture. They provided me a document which says:

Récépissé de Demande de Carte de Séjour

Prefecture, Name and other details

A Demande le renouvellement de son Titre de Sejour Dont la validite expire le xx/xx/xxxx

Ce recepisse n'est valable qu'accompagne de de titre (Visa de long sejour valant T.S.) N. xxxxxxxxxx

Il autorise son titulaire a travailler.

This récépissé will expire in 6 months. But I have to travel to India from 1 October to 31 October. During this period my Type D visa will expire. Can I come back to France by showing my VLS/TS Type D Visa (expired) + OFII Sticker + mentioned Récépissé?


I came across this Circulaire NOR IMIK0900087C by the French government, is it good as proof? enter image description here

  • 4
    I disagree with the close vote. The question is about travel, namely about whether a certain document is a valid travel document. It could also be viewed as being about expatriation, but the two are not necessarily mutually exclusive.
    – fkraiem
    Aug 26, 2019 at 10:57
  • You will probably be unable to board a flight to France with those documents.
    – phoog
    Aug 26, 2019 at 15:31
  • @phoog According to the Circulaire NOR IMIK0900087C, it says you can travel if its a renewal of carte de Sejour. Please have look at the edit section.
    – PSS
    Aug 26, 2019 at 15:33
  • @phoog if you check the second bold line of the question, I hope it means the same. Because the heading for both cases is the same (if you are applying for the first time or renewing it). Only the content mentioned in the body tells you the difference. I followed this URL: thefrenchadobo.com/… . I hope this information is correct.
    – PSS
    Aug 26, 2019 at 16:05
  • @PSS part of my confusion (related to my now deleted comment) was the imprecise translation. I thought that the recipisse would be useful only if you were renewing the carte de séjour, but actually it covers renewal of titres de séjour. The latter term is broader, including as it does D visas (at least it includes D visas that are VLS-TS).
    – phoog
    Aug 26, 2019 at 16:10

1 Answer 1


According to TIMATIC, the database that your airline will use to determine whether it's okay to fly you to France (and in contrast to my earlier suspicion expressed in a comment):

  • Receipts of application for Renewal of a residence permit issued by France (Recepisse de demande de carte de sejour - renouvellement de titre de sejour) are accepted if accompanied by the expired residence permit or an expired "D" visa.

  • Receipts of application for a first residence permit (Recepisse de demande de carte de sejour - delivrance d'un premier titre de sejour) are not accepted.

Since your recipisse indicates that it is a renewal, you should be okay.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .