I got my Hungarian Student visa. Initially, it is limited to 30days until I pick up my residence card. On the visa it states: Valid for: Hungary Single entry Validity: 30 days.

They mentioned in the embassy that I shouldn't leave Hungary until I got my residence permit card.

Can I land in Germany, since I can't get any direct flights to Budapest?

  • The title of the linked question says German but it is the same for all Schengen countries. – Michael Hampton Aug 14 '19 at 16:52

A D-Visa allows you to transit through Schengen signatory states to get to your final destination. Schengen Border Code Article 6 states:

(a) third-country nationals who do not fulfil all the conditions laid down in paragraph 1 but who hold a residence permit or a long-stay visa shall be authorised to enter the territory of the other Member States for transit purposes so that they may reach the territory of the Member State which issued the residence permit or the long-stay visa, unless their names are on the national list of alerts of the Member State whose external borders they are seeking to cross and the alert is accompanied by instructions to refuse entry or transit;

| improve this answer | |
  • Thanks Ozzy for the comment. Will I be allowed to exit the airport eg. in Munich to take the train to Budapest? – user3215614 Aug 14 '19 at 19:56
  • Yes, you can exit the Munich airport and take the train (or any other mode of transport) to Hungary. – DavidSupportsMonica Aug 14 '19 at 20:03

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.