I am a Canadian citizen, currently back home in Canada. I completed my BFA in NYC from 2014-2018, and also finished my OPT from July 2018-July 2019. My grace period is 60 days, meaning it should've ended on September 6th, 2019. I am seeking advice on returning to the US, as a visitor, for a week or so, however this would be during my grace period. I have heard that I may have some trouble, and that it may depend on the officer at the border. I have absolutely no plans to work, or overstay, truly just a visit to see friends. Any advice on this? Has anyone experienced something similar? To add, I have no criminal history, and would have a plane/bus return ticket already booked by the time I attempt to enter. Thanks in advance!

1 Answer 1


You cannot return in F status after you leave the US. The grace period ends when you leave.

Your proposed visit appears to be permissible in B-2 status, which is the normal tourist status that Canadians receive when they enter the US for personal reasons. There's a chance that your recent F status will bring greater scrutiny, but if you can prove that you're visiting friends and have a home to return to in Canada, you should be admitted.

  • Really appreciate the advice. So, do I need to apply for a B-2 visa just for a visit to the US? Even if there is proof of return and the visit is 1-2 weeks for leisure? Or will my Canadian citizenship and previous F status just bring additional questioning? Thanks again for any help!
    – elij1s
    Aug 12, 2019 at 22:16
  • @elij1s you don't need a visa. Canadians who visit for personal reasons are admitted in B-2 status without a visa.
    – phoog
    Aug 12, 2019 at 22:41
  • Ah, right. I seem to have confused a visa with status. I will definitely proceed with caution if I plan a trip and will be prepared to answer additional questions from an officer. Thanks again for the insight.
    – elij1s
    Aug 12, 2019 at 23:12

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .