I am living in Madrid, Spain, with a wife who is working here in Madrid too. I want to go to Ireland to visit as a tourist but without her. I have a Spanish residence permit of family member of the EU. Can I travel to Ireland without applying for Visa or what is it exactly I need to do? Do I need other travel documents to travel alone?

  • 4
    What is your citizenship (you’ve tagged your question ‘uk-residents’, not sure why)? You can check the entry requirements for the Republic of Ireland here inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/check-irish-visa – Traveller Aug 10 '19 at 10:43
  • @Traveller For some reason I can't fathom, that official web site doesn't seem to cover the situation of traveling with an Article 10 residence permit. It is covered elsewhere on the site though. – Michael Hampton Aug 10 '19 at 17:41

The general rule is that you can use your "family member of a Union citizen" Article 10 residence permit to travel without a visa, if you are traveling with or joining the EU citizen family member.

This is documented on Ireland's official web site:

Your EU/EEA or Swiss family member has rights under EU treaties that may allow you to accompany or join them in Ireland without a visa.

To exercise this right, you must apply for and hold a 'Residence card of a family member of a Union citizen' of the type referred to in Article 10 of Directive 2004/38/EC.

If you wish to travel alone, you will need to obtain a visa.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.