I went to Italy for a year and a half. I had a good reason to stay so long but I can't stay here anymore. My husband is in the US. He's a citizen.

Can I go back with an expired visa? Should I chance it? Do they really know if I've been away for over a year? Is it just a NTA and I can still get in? Or should I get an ESTA to get back in to see my husband? As a LPR can I even get an ESTA? I'm getting a ticket at the end of this month. I've been a resident since 1970s. Anyone actually work at the CBP that knows the protocol?


1 Answer 1


You should not apply for ESTA unless you intend to abandon your permanent residence. If you do not want to abandon your permanent residence, you can apply for a returning resident visa (thanks to Traveller for the link).

If you do intend to abandon your permanent residence, I believe you can do that either with a consular officer at the consulate or embassy, or with an immigration officer at the border.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .