I will be travelling through UK (Manchester) from Africa to Paris.

I will pass through border controls since i have to pick my lugages and check in again in a différent terminal but still at Manchester Airport. It is a landside transit

My flight to Paris is on the same day (7 hours later) I have a lebanese passeport and a 10 years french resident card (titre de séjour). It was issued in April 2010 (to April 2020) It is plastified, « pink/purple » color, has bull and 5 stars on it. It does not have a chip et is a little bit bigger than the « credit card size model » (mine is 10,5x7,5cm)

Having a common format resident card EEA allows me to transit via UK.

My question is this : Is the resident card that I have considered a common format resident card ? Even without a chip and not the credit card size ?

Thank you in advance


The common format residence permit is indeed a red and blue (or pink and purple, depending on the ambient lighting) card with a bull and stars. Older ones will not have a chip, but they remain valid even without a chip. France added the chip to theirs in June 2011.

France residence permits after and before June 2011:
France residence permits after and before 2011
Image source: Government of France

You will need to show both your passport and this residence permit when you check in for your flight in Africa, so that the airline can confirm your ability to transit the UK. They will deny boarding without it.

  • 1
    @Mathfrance If the only difference is that you do not have a chip, you are still OK. The airline reads the machine readable lines on the back, and doesn't need to read the chip. – Michael Hampton Aug 3 at 19:14

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.