I currently live in Canada with my wife. I had applied for a visitors visa for my 11 year old daughter, who lives in Egypt, about a month ago. I was sent a letter online by CIC today stating that a parental authorization letter is needed for her to travel. I have already given them one from her mother when i first applied.

Does this mean they also want one from me ?

  • 2
    You're applying for a visa for your daughter to go where? Does she currently live with you in Canada? – hmakholm left over Monica Aug 2 '19 at 0:38
  • 1
    (But yes, children are often expected to have explicit permission to travel from both their parents, where the parents have joint custody. The underlying concern that one party in a failing relationship/marriage might unilaterally take the child to a different country where later custody decisions by the home country's courts would be difficult or impossible to enforce). – hmakholm left over Monica Aug 2 '19 at 0:42
  • 1
    @HenningMakholm She lives in Egypt. I applied for a visitors visa about a month ago. I provided a consent letter from her mother since she’s in her mothers care. Today they sent me a letter stating that they need a parental consent letter in order to continue processing the application. Does that mean they also need one from me? – user100966 Aug 2 '19 at 1:29
  • 2
    Yes, they need a separate letter from you for exactly the reason stated by Henning Makholm. – DavidSupportsMonica Aug 2 '19 at 3:15
  • @Traveller why is that a comment instead of an answer? – phoog Aug 2 '19 at 13:33

The documents a minor child needs to enter Canada depend on whether the child is travelling alone or with someone. Authorisation from both parents is required if the child is travelling alone.


If a minor child is traveling alone, or will be accompanied by an adult not the child's parent, the documents they should present are:

  • their own passport
  • a copy of their birth certificate, and
  • a letter of authorization, in English or French if possible, and signed by both parents or by their legal guardian which lists:
    • the parents’ (or legal guardian’s) address and telephone number, and
    • the name, address and telephone number of the adult who will look after the child in Canada.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.