I am doing my PhD in France. It is required that I must go to London to attend some conference (2 days). My nationality is Indian and currently I have this Visa Long Séjour Valant Titre de Séjour mention “passeport talent-chercheur". Can I travel to London with this or I shall have to do the visa formality to go to london and then buy the tickets?

  • 1
    That’s a residence permit for France, I believe. In which case it doesn’t allow you to enter the UK, you will need a visa. You can check here gov.uk/check-uk-visa – Traveller Jul 29 at 15:42

According to the UK visa check tool if you:

  • are an Indian citizen
  • are coming to the UK for an academic visit
  • are staying for less than six months

You need to apply for a Standard Visitor visa. Having a French residency permit does not seem to matter at all in this case.

Quoting from the linked website:

You'll need a visa to work, do business or academic research in the UK

The visa you need to apply for depends on your circumstances.

Business visits

You can apply:

  • for a Standard Visitor visa - eg if you’re coming to the UK for conferences, meetings, training, academic research or a sabbatical
  • as a visitor doing a ‘permitted paid engagement’ (you must have been invited to the UK because of your expertise) - you can only stay for up to 1 month

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.