Am traveling to Swaziland by bus but coming in through Johannesburg. Do I need a transit visa? I am from Uganda.

2 Answers 2


You require a South African tourist visa since you will be entering South Africa at OR Tambo International Airport and then catching a bus to Eswatini (Swaziland).

For other interested persons, Swaziland has changed the official name to Eswatini.


According to the IATA Travel Center, as a Ugandan citizen, you will need a visa for South Africa. The only way to avoid requiring a visa is if you are flying in and out of South Africa.

Visa South Africa

Visa required.

TWOV (Transit Without Visa):

Passengers transiting through Cape Town (CPT), Durban (DUR), Johannesburg (JNB) or Lanseria (HLA) with a confirmed onward ticket for a flight to a third country. They must stay in the international transit area of the airport and have documents required for the next destination.

  • This doesn't address whether a transit visa is adequate or a "holiday" visa (as they seem to be called) is required. I find the relevant South African government pages confusing, which is why I haven't posted an answer myself.
    – phoog
    Commented Jul 23, 2019 at 19:24

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .