I am travelling from Toronto to Netherlands and have layover in US for 2 hours. I have L2 visa and my husband is in US. He is travelling to Netherlands the next day.

Could you please confirm if L2 visa is valid for layover.

  • 1
    Is your husband still in valid L-1 status? – phoog Jul 22 '19 at 17:25
  • Yes he has valid visa for more than 2 years – Aman Jul 22 '19 at 17:47
  • 1
    Okay, but is he still working for the same employer? If he has left that job then he is probably no longer in valid status and you would probably need a transit visa (or ESTA if you are eligible), unless you are a citizen of Canada or Bermuda. – phoog Jul 22 '19 at 17:58
  • He is still working for the same employer and will return the same day I return from Netherlands. – Aman Jul 22 '19 at 18:11

To use your L-2 visa to enter the US (including for transit), you have to be eligible for L-2 status. L-2 status applies to dependents of someone in L-1 status, which, in your case, is your husband.

You've indicated that your husband, from whose L-1 status your L-2 status is derived, continues to work for his employer in the US. So there is no reason to think that his L-1 status has lapsed, which means that you are eligible to enter in L-2 status, which means that you can use your L-2 visa for your planned transit.

| improve this answer | |
  • Thank you for your quick reply ! – Aman Jul 22 '19 at 18:37

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.