In a few days, I will be traveling from
San Francisco -> Helsinki -> Moscow (Sheremetyevo) with Finnair (economy class).
A month ago passengers started to experience substantial delays to pick up their baggage and based on my understanding the situation has not fully been resolved. It looks like the airport tried to alleviate the situation, deploying some measures:
- additional dispatchers and supervisors are deployed in the baggage claim area to interact with passengers and to provide them with the most recent information;
- if the waiting period for baggage exceeds 30 minutes, passengers who can no longer wait can submit applications for the free delivery to their indicated addresses at the counter in the baggage claim area.
Being in a foreign country, after a long flight, I am not really a fan of spending a few unnecessary hours in the airport. So, the first solution is not really helpful for me, the second might be helpful depending on how is it implemented.
Being aware that the airport/airline will try to downplay the situation as much as they could, I wanted to ask:
- what are my rights regarding the delayed baggage?
- how much wait time is acceptable and what can I do to keep airport/finnair accountable?
- if I have any rights, what is the right approach to enforce them?
P.S. I read a similar question about potential delays, but my situation is different. I do not have separate tickets. I bought everything via Finnair (just the second leg will be administered via Aeroflot)