I live in the UK since allmost a year and would like to visit family and friends in Germany followed by an interrail trip. So I would like to get an Interrail pass as a UK resident. Eventhough I found the FAQ concerning how to prove residency


Your residence can be proved with official government-issued residency papers. This must be a valid document that clearly shows that you're an official resident of the country you live in (for example, a residence card).

Your proof of residence will be accepted if:

  • It is issued by the government.
  • It is valid for the entire duration of your Interrail trip.
  • It has an official mark or stamp from the issuing body.
  • It clearly states the issuing country.
  • It clearly states your name.

Documents such as bills, rental contracts or bank statements cannot be used. Travel visas and the residency field of a passport are also not accepted as proof of residency.

I still have no Idea what kind of document I should use for this. After all as a European citizen you dont have to register here so there was really no occasion at which I could have gotten such a document. Also I can't apply for a residency card as this is only granted to non european citizens.

Does anybody has experience with this situation?

I contacted the WhatsApp help service from Interrail: they just repeated that I need a document that satisfies the properties listed above.

  • 1
    Yes it is about what I can use as "official proof of residence"
    – Florian
    Jul 21, 2019 at 19:55
  • 1
    @Traveller The problem is that as a German resident I could not travel through Germany.
    – Florian
    Jul 21, 2019 at 20:37
  • 1
    @Traveller No I want to apply for a global pass start my journey in the UK, where I live, visit Germany and then travell on to Switzerland and France and then back to the UK. But if my status is German resident I cannot visit Germany on the way.
    – Florian
    Jul 21, 2019 at 20:59
  • 1
    @Traveller but I want to have more than just one journey within Germany
    – Florian
    Jul 21, 2019 at 21:23
  • 1
    Inter-rail also have a great whatsapp service for queries like this: +31 6 40789005
    – Gamora
    Jul 22, 2019 at 11:23

1 Answer 1


you can register at the German Embassy in London and get a change of residency status in your passport.


It's a bit annoying, but shouldn't be a problem.

Edit: The Interrail Whatsapp customer service just confirmed that this is the only option for Uk residents.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .