Last year I applied for UK standard visitors Visa and was successfully issued, with Visa written at the top of the sticker which has the resemblance of the schengen Visa. Fast forward this year, in the month of June I applied for another standard visitors Visa but was issued an entry clearance sticker which has a different look than the regular Visa. I would like to know, at what point are this two stickers issued and under what circumstances? What are the major differences between them?

  • Did you apply via the gov.uk website or VFS, or via a 3rd party agent? – Traveller Jul 19 '19 at 20:37
  • @Traveller my first application was done via the official old application portal and the current application was done via Gov.uk. had my biometric with TLScontact Ghana and never used any agent. – Apple juice Jul 19 '19 at 20:45
  • I also applied for the standard visitors visa in September and this time got the yellow sticker, like you mentioned. Before it was always green and stated "visa", not "entry clearance" – Anna Sep 25 '19 at 5:19

Several years ago, the EEA Member States introduced a uniform format visa vignette (a green coloured vignette, which all member states use). Unlike other Member States, the UK uses a different sticker for category D visas.

  • Uniform Format Visa (UFV).This vignette is common to all EU Member States. It is used for visa nationals coming to the UK as visitors or in transit (Category A, B or C)

  • United Kingdom Vignette. This is used for all other entry clearances (Category D), usually long-stay categories


An example of each vignette is available here: https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/257789/examples-of-vignettes.pdf

Example of UK Category A, B, C vignette
Example of UK Category A, B, C vignette

Example of UK Category D vignette
Example of UK Category D vignette

You appear to have been given a Category D vignette.

  • I just got visitor multivisa (C) on the vignette like for D category. Interesting))) – Alexey Usharovski Sep 18 '19 at 11:13

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.