I have been travelling and have picked up some neat wooden trinkets.

I will be holidaying in New Zealand before travelling back to Australia.

I know that both countries have restrictions on such products.

Obviously I should declare such items, but I want to avoid losing the items at the border.

What are customs specifically looking for, and how can I avoid them confiscating them?

  • This answer to a similar question should get you started.
    – molypot
    Jul 19, 2019 at 8:19
  • Are you importing with the intention of reselling them, or are they merely souvenirs? Jul 19, 2019 at 12:18

1 Answer 1


Customs would look for a certificate that you have had them professionally fumigated to avoid bringing in bugs that does not exist natively in those countries

You can also check because last time I went to NZ they offered this fumigation service at the airport on arrival for a few but please check first before you go to avoid loosing items due to misunderstandings

  • in places that attract NZ and Aus tourists, there are often little stickers on the souvenirs saying "treated wood". I had no problem with the little bowls I bought in Fiji. Jul 19, 2019 at 11:05
  • Professional fumigation is only necessary for untreated wood. Most treated wood articles are fine to bring in, no certificate needed, but it's always wise to declare. Jul 19, 2019 at 17:22

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .