I'm a Graduate student in F1 visa, Going on a college trip to France for 10 days, I will be attending conference (part of my trip). Which visa type should I apply for?

  • 1
    And going to the races, too, eh? <g> Jul 16, 2019 at 23:26
  • Couple days of class at the hotel and will be attending a conference and some sightseeing
    – jagan
    Jul 17, 2019 at 0:27
  • Sounds like a great trip. Jul 17, 2019 at 3:10
  • should I apply for a student visa or a tourist visa?
    – jagan
    Jul 17, 2019 at 6:38
  • 1
    @jagan I believe David’s comment about ‘going to the races’ is related to the ‘formula-one’ tag on your question :-) I suspect you meant to choose the ‘F1-visas’ tag
    – Traveller
    Aug 6, 2019 at 8:38

1 Answer 1


You should apply for a type C short-term visa. Unlike some other countries, the Schengen area does not have strictly defined visa categories. When applying, categories are there to help processing, your visa will not mention for example “study” or “tourism”. Since Schengen does not have an 'Academic' category, you should select the category that best represents the main purpose of your trip.

There is a discussion of this topic here Attending an academic conference is what type of travel?

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .