We are gonna be four people travelling from Norway to the Philippines in December. Two of us are filipino citizens with valid Norwegian resident permits. Do we need a transit visa if we want to go landside? I am not sure if a Norwegian resident permit is considered "common format". All help is much appreciated.

  • As a general guide, a residence permit for an EU country does not allow the holder to enter the UK if they would otherwise need a visa by virtue of their citizenship, unless the permit is a valid Article 10 residence card and they are travelling with or visiting either their partner or a family member in the UK. gov.uk/government/publications/… – Traveller Jul 16 '19 at 9:04
  • @Traveller: EEA common format residence permits do qualify the holder for landside transit-without-visa in the UK if certain other conditions are met. – hmakholm left over Monica Jul 16 '19 at 15:56
  • 2
    Voting to reopen, because the OP is evidently aware of the TWOV rules, and is asking specifically about how he finds out whether his Norwegian residence permit qualifies as a "common format" permit, which is not explained by the prior question. – hmakholm left over Monica Jul 16 '19 at 15:58

A common-format residence card is one issued by an EEA or EU country whose design matches the one shown here. The most important features to look for is the red-blue-red background pattern, and stars and a bull symbol on the left-hand side above the photo. (The background pattern on the right is a national design that differs between member countries).

If you have such a card and satisfy certain other conditions (leaving by air before two midnights have passed etc.) then you should qualify for the landside Transit Without Visa scheme.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.