Now US citizens and more can use ePassport gates when coming to the UK, can UK residents that are US citizens use these gates?

I notice that if you are a US citizen, coming to study for 6 months or less, you need to see an officer to get a stamp to study.

Was wondering if a resident needs to see an officer too, so they're not just admitted for 6 months at the ePassport gate like a tourist would be.

1 Answer 1


Looks like you can use the ePassport gates if you're a UK resident and from a country that is allowed to use the ePassport gates.


If you’re from a non-EEA country

You no longer have to fill in a landing card. Your passport (and visa if you have one) will be checked at border control. You’ll usually be asked why you’re coming to the UK.

You may be able to use the automatic ePassport gates if you’re from:

  • Australia
  • Canada
  • Japan
  • New Zealand
  • Singapore
  • South Korea
  • United States

You must also:

  • be aged 12 or over (if you’re between 12 and 17, you must be accompanied by an adult)
  • have a valid visa or a biometric residence permit
  • have a valid passport for the duration of your stay have a
  • passport with a ‘chip’ on it
  • I suspect you would still see an officer after the gates to get a stamp?
    – kiradotee
    Jul 29, 2019 at 7:28
  • @kiradotee No, as explained further down in the link provided in the answer, if you need (or want) a stamp because of the type of visa you hold, you can’t use the ePassport gates because you can’t get a stamp afterwards.
    – Traveller
    Jul 29, 2019 at 8:15
  • @Traveller so I guess it's simply assumed people would know that if the gates open for them then they can stay up to 6 months?
    – kiradotee
    Jul 29, 2019 at 11:48
  • 1
    @kiradotee after you go through the gate there is a sign telling them they have 6 months leave to enter, cant work or claim benefits etc. My question was for residents if they could use it too. Heres more info for tourists from these nations gov.uk/government/news/…
    – BritishSam
    Jul 29, 2019 at 11:57

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .